Dr. Kantor recently discussed children’s health and nutrition with the Grand Forks Herald. Kantor says that what we forget to do is to really explain how and why we should make healthy choices. We need to teach our children rather than just telling them what to do and what not to do. If you dictate that someone not to do something, they often tend to resist (adults too!). If you explain the why to them and get them engaged in a fun way, they become a part of it and take ownership of it. This is what Kantor’s new children’s book, The Green Box League of Nutritious Justice, attempts to do.
What can parents do to encourage their children to make healthier choices?
- Educate them in proper nutrition and fitness
- Get them involved in the process so that they will take ownership of it
- Take them to the grocery store
- Let them help in the kitchen; measuring, pouring, mixing, etc
- Have them help make their healthy lunch, which should include a protein, fruit, veggie and healthy fat
This is a preview to an article that will be featured in the Grand Forks Herald. Check back for the full article which will include healthy lunch and snack ideas, more tips for raising healthy kids, and information on The Green Box League of Nutritious Justice.
Dr. Kantor’s greatly anticipated new children’s book, The Green Box League of Nutritious Justice, is now available. Be sure to order this highly reviewed book, filled with healthy living tips for the whole family. A portion of the proceeds benefit the Children’s Miracle Network.