By: Dr. Keith Kantor
*photo credit- Readers Digest Canada
You may think that you feel normal and some of the annoying symptoms you have to deal with daily like headaches, or stubborn weight gain is just part of getting older. You may be surprised to find that those symptoms could actually be a sign that your body has excessive toxins.
If you suffer from one or more of these symptoms then you may be toxic which could be affecting your metabolism and overall health status:
- Chronic Headaches
- Extreme Difficulty Losing Weight
- Sensitive to Smells (chemicals, perfumes, etc.)
- Excessive Body Odor
- Skin Sensitivities (Eczema, psoriasis, Rosacea, red bumps etc.)
Your nutrition and lifestyle may need a makeover.
Mainstream diets can actually work against you if you are a chronic dieter. Eating the same things day in and day out while counting calories to lose weight can deplete the health of your gut and disrupt your metabolism.
We are exposed to toxins in our every day life through the air we breath, foods we eat, water we drink, bathe in, and even the cosmetics we use. Our body has it’s own detoxification defense system but in a world that is full of toxins our body has a hard time keeping up. Numerous diseases including cancer and thyroid disease have been linked to environmental chemical exposure.
It is important to learn how to limit your exposure to daily toxins and help your body eliminate built up toxins with a detoxification program. This program can be done long term and does not restrict calories or food groups. It increases the support of your bodies’ natural detoxification system, so you can better handle the excess toxins we are exposed to in our daily hectic lifestyles.
14-15 day Detoxification Pack – This is optional but an herbal supplement specifically designed for detoxification can help support the liver and colon in addition to the nutrition and lifestyle changes.
High Quality Multi-vitamins- Should be taken as additional nutrients to support immune system and ensure that daily vitamin and mineral requirements are met.
Omega 3 fish oil (1000mg)- Especially important for reducing inflammation and brain health, should also be taken daily.
Vegan protein powder (2 scoops per day)- Plant based protein formulation that provides a balance of nutrients, rich source of amino acids, it is low allergenic, contains no genetically modified plant tissue (GMO), NO SOY, it is pesticide, lactose and gluten free.
When you go through the program you may experience certain symptoms depending on your current health and your body’s toxic load. Only some individuals experience these symptoms, the more toxic your body is the more you will feel the difference, do not be discouraged just be patient, the first 4 days are the worst.
- Decrease OR increase in energy
- Headaches (typically subside after first 4 days)
- Nausea, gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea
- Muscle aches or irritability
- Acne, hives, skin rash
- Weight changes
- Body fat loss
- Improved sleep quality
- Improved mental clarity, ability to focus, mood
- Less fluid retention
- Hot flashes (typically women)
- Feeling like cold or flu is coming on
- Changes in digestion
This program is NOT recommended for:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding moms
- Anyone with poor kidney or liver function
- Anyone on medications related to the treatment of cancer
- Anyone with allergy to any ingredient(s) in the supplied supplements (see label for ingredients)
It is not a good idea to dive into a detoxification program, especially if all of these guidelines are completely new to you. Prepare by making these behavior modifications the week or two leading up to your start date.
- Reduce caffeine intake
- Cut back on alcohol
- Eliminate Sugar- Refined and artificial. (ex. Honey, candy, desserts, soda, aspartame, sucralose, etc.) Sugar completely feeds toxins in your system.
- Focus on REAL WHOLE FOODS- Avoid packaged food in boxes, bags, cans or bottles.
- Remove Temptation- remove non-approved items from your house
- Sauna- if you have access to a sauna try to get in at least 2x during prep week.
- Activity- Incorporate a yoga and/or Pilates session into your training at least 2x per week.
- Hydrate- Increase your daily water intake to at least half your body weight in ounces of water per day. Water naturally cleanses blood, and flushes water from cells.
Make sure you…
- Wash produce. Helps remove pesticides and bacteria.
- Consume at least 6-8 servings of fresh or plain frozen vegetables per day. They aid in liver cleansing and overall metabolism.
- Consume 2 servings of fruit per day. Stick to dark fruits like berries and cherries. They are low in sugar and higher in antioxidants.
- Consume high quality protein with each meal. This will stabilize blood sugars, energy level and cravings.
- Consume omega 3 fatty acids daily. This helps maintain healthy cell membranes and reduce inflammation.
- Increase water intake to at least ½ your body weight in ounces of water per day. Water cleanses organs and helps flush waste from cells, critical to successful detox. Hydroxide water is optimal, it will promote optimal pH levels in addition to anti inflammation.
- Consume adequate fiber daily (>30g/day). Helps eliminate environmental estrogens like BPA, which are metabolic disruptors.
- Follow exercise and lifestyle plan. This will optimize the detox program results.
- Follow nutrition plan. Consuming the right nutrients in proper amounts is critical to your success of the program.
- Commit to your goals in a journal. It’s easier to stay motivated when you write down your goals. Keep a journal and track your food, supplement intake, activity, sleep and overall reactions.
Sample meals and snacks for one day of “detoxing.” You may be surprised that the calorie intake and fat grams per day are normal to high compared to other detox programs, this is not a water weight loss program that is temporary this is something that can be done long term.
Breakfast- Smoothie- 1 scoop protein, 1-2 c unsweet almond or coconut milk, 1 scoop ground flax seed, 1 c fresh or frozen dark berries, 1 heaping handful of spinach, 5 ice cubes and blend.
Lunch- Salad — organic greens or spinach, 3 to 6oz. organic chicken or whitefish (tilapia, haddock, cod), any other vegetables desired cut up (other than corn), 6 olives or ½ avocado, 2 Tbsp. slivered almonds, and 2 Tbsp. oil/vinegar dressing (extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs and spices as desired.
Dinner- Hot Meal — 4 to 6 oz. baked wild salmon, halibut or cod served with 1 to 2 cups roasted asparagus (drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, and bake at 400° for 30 min.) and a small steamed sweet potato with 1 tsp. ghee (clarified butter), cinnamon, stevia added to top.
Consume a second serving of protein with fruit (optional) and 1-2 c unsweet almond or coconut milk and a handful of raw or lightly toasted nuts (other than peanuts) or seeds.
|VEGETABLES||All except non-approved.||Corn, creamed vegetables,, canned vegetables|
|FRUITS||All except non- approved||Banana, figs, prunes, and oranges|
|PROTEINS||Wild fish, natural chicken, turkey, wild game, lamb, beef||Conventional beef, pork, chicken, hot dogs, cold cuts, sausage, bacon, eggs, and shellfish, soybeans, tofu, miso, edamame|
|FATS & OILS||Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flax oil, flax seed, clarified butter, sesame or walnut oil, grass fed butter||Margarine, shortening, hydrogenated oils, canola, corn, or vegetable oil or mayonnaise|
|NUTS & SEEDS||All except non- approved||Peanut, peanut butter|
|STARCHES & GRAINS||Wild rice, brown rice, gluten free oats, millet, amaranth, buckwheat||Gluten, wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut|
|DAIRY PRODUCTS||Unsweet coconut, almond or hemp milk. Non-dairy cheese||Cow’s milk, cheese, cream cottage cheese, yogurt, ice cream, frozen yogurt, rice milk|
|BEVERAGES||Filtered water, herbal tea, sparkling water||Coffee, black tea, soda, alcohol, energy drinks|
|CONDIMENTS||Spices, herbs, sea salt, cocoa||Ketchup, mustard, sauce, chocolate, iodized salt|
|SWEETENERS||Stevia, blackstrap molasses, xylitol, erythritol||White, brown sugar, honey, agave, syrup, sucralose, aspartame, or saccharin|
In Addition to the Nutrition and Supplementation
Sleep is very important for the success of this program. when your body is regenerating, it requires adequate rest. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night between 10 pm and 6 am.
Massage A lymphatic massage will help move toxins from your lymphatic tissue. we recommend getting a massage at least once during the 15-day program.
Sauna or hot Epsom salt bath- we encourage 15 to 20 minutes at least 2 days a week in the dry sauna and/or bath to encourage toxin elimination through sweating. After each session, take a cool shower to wash off toxins from your skin.
Meditation. The mind is much stronger than the physical body. That’s why meditation is key to healing and recharging. Start with 5 minutes per day.
This detoxification program is not a quick fix, it is about letting your body repair, rest and rejuvenate through eliminating the foods and additives that put the most stress on your body. Do not worry about counting calories, eat according to how your body feels and focus on 3 meals and 1-2 snacks per day. Make sure you get your protein shake in daily, in addition to the recommended ½ your body weight in ounces of hydroxide water daily.