If you are avoiding candy all together then orange fruit cups packed “in its own juice” are great alternatives to the traditional processed candy. There are also several all natural candy alternatives like Newman’s Own organic snack size chocolates, Annie’s organic bunny fruit snacks, Clif Kid Z bars, or Yum Earth organic gummy bears.
Are there any special recipes moms might try at home for their toddler who is not trick or treating this year?
There is always a way to make a mainstream processed candy at home. Here is a recipe for chocolate peanut butter cups (or almond butter cups). This does not contain any unhealthy oils, or refined sugars or syrups.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups:
- 3/4 cup of all natural peanut, almond or sun butter
- 2 tablespoons local honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil or melted organic butter if you are not fond of coconut oil
- 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
- 2-4 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl combine the peanut butter, coconut oil or butter, vanilla, first 2 tablespoons honey. Mix until well combined.
- Drop by the heaping teaspoon into mini liners in cupcake pans. Place in freezer.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in the top of a double broiler. Mix in the honey. Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in the pot and place the bowl on top. Watch the chocolate carefully so that it doesn’t burn, stirring gently while the chocolate melts. When there are just a few chunks left in the chocolate, take off of the heat and allow it to melt completely.
- Drop by the teaspoon over the peanut butter mixture and place back into the freezer. Freeze for 20 minutes. Take out, keep in the freezer or refrigerator and enjoy.
This is a preview to an article that will be featured on The Talking Walnut.
Be sure and order your copy of Dr. Kantor’s highly praised new book What Matters: Leadership Values that Just Might Save America. Proceeds from sales benefit the American Diabetes Foundation, the All-Natural Food Council of North America, the Natural Products Association.